Sunday, February 6, 2011

It Went Swimmingly....




Saturday morning we were up and off. Off to the YMCA in King for Avery's first swimming lesson. I am always amazed at how much stuff one little guy needs. I know I over pack, and on top of that, I always forget at least one thing. UGH!

We arrived at the Y early. That never happens. We managed to find the locker room and get to class promptly. Avery was very scared walking through the showers. It was hot and weird, and when we opened the door to the pool he was not very happy. It didn't occur to me to take a lock, so I was dragging everything along to the pool and I was fully clothed. It was so freakin' hot in there I thought I was going to faint. The good news is, for the first time in 2 days I could breathe through my nose. Avery reminded me of the dogs at the vets office. He would not move a muscle. He was frozen.

Lucky for me Greggie had agreed to be the parent in the pool, so he came over and coaxed the little man over to the pool area. It was at this point that I noticed a couple of sets of parents there for the class. It had not been something I even considered. We could both get in the pool with him! Dang this lack of common sense. Avery seemed really distracted by my being there and not being "in".

He was pretty afraid during the class, and I can't say that I blame him. There were some weirdos in there tossing their kid around like a pool toy. This kid was wearing a necklace, and he spent about as much time under the water as he did above it. I will be honest, I think these people were showing off. Everyone was looking at them, and they loved it. The kid was like a freakin' tadpole. He didn't need a class, he needed to be leading a clinic for the love of swim fins.

Once class was over, there were 15 minutes to swim at your leisure. During this time Avery really loosened up and even smiled and laughed.

Today I bought a one piece bathing suit (a requirement of the class) and next Saturday I will take a lock and I will be in the pool with my boys! I can't wait. Bless the hearts of any and all in attendance. Shamoo is making an appearance in King, NC!

1 comment:

  1. Shamoo? You're crazy. I suspect you will love swim lessons 100x more in the pool rather than fully-clothed, poolside. Wooooooo!

    ReplyDelete